Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday Schooled

I started my morning like I wish I could start every morning, with all four of us gathered for breakfast at the same time. I love family meals more than anything on the planet, by the way. For just a few minutes I was normal again. I didn't think about my cancer at all...for just a few minutes. 

Ride to church..normal,
traffic..normal,
church clothes..normal,
weather..normal.

Got to speak to a dear friend in Sunday school who is a 17 year survivor. She had so many things to share. I try to take it all in, because I am smart enough to know that I need her story and her help. The thing that she said that stuck with me the most is to tell people how I am feeling, even if it is bad. People want and need to help. I know this will be my hardest challenge, because I need to be in control. So when I don't answer the question, what can we do to help, Go ask Christian. 

I asked Christian today how he felt, and he responded with, "I think we've been through worse". I wanted to say.."Oh really????" But I know he is right. In AA they say 1 out of 10 get and stay clean and sober,  And my doc says I have a 90% chance of being cancer free in 10 years, so maybe I have been through worse. 

In the spirit of our message at church, and what should be my everyday thought process, I am thankful. Thankful for family meals, Sunday school, ladies that share their survival stories with me, 4 years 6 months 12days of sobriety, the moments when I feel normal, and sherbert punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment